Applications are invited for the 2008 award of the Spitfire Memorial Defence Fellowship valued up to $15,000 to support Australian Defence-related studies or research at the University of New South Wales or other appropriate institution.
This annually awarded Fellowship has been established as a lasting and dynamic recognition of the significatn contribution of the Spitfire and its Squadrons during World War II
The Award in 2008
The Fellowship has a value of up to $15,000. The project for which the award is made must be completed by the end of 2008.
The Fellowship will provide encouragement for the development of advanced knowledge and expertise which will aid the defence of Australia by providing financial support and public recognition for the undertaking of programs of study or research at the University of New South Wales (at the Australian Defence Force Academy or in Sydney), or other appropriate institutions within or outside Australia.
The Fellowship is open to Australian citizens who are suitably qualified graduates or who have significant appropriate work experience. Applicants must demonstrate an interest in advancing the available knowledge and expertise which will lead to an improvement in the defence of Australia, by developing a proposal to undertake a program of study or research at the University of New South Wales (at the Australian Defence Force Academy or in Sydney) or another appropriate institution within or outside Australia.
Applicants will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- sustained academic achievement or significant work experience
- a detailed description of and rationale for the proposed program of research or area of study including the proposed output
- demonstrated interest in the defence of Australia
Attention will be paid by the Selection Committee to the quality of the project proposed and the potential outcomes.
Fellow Reporting Arrangements
At the conclusion of the study or research program, a Fellow will be required to submit a written report to the Rector, UNSW@ADFA, Australian Defence Force Academy.
The Rector will, at his/her discretion, arrange the publication of the Fellow’s report in whole or in part as appropriate. The Fellow will be acknowledged as the author and as the holder of the Spitfire Memorial Defence Fellowship.
Applications should include:
- a curriculum vitae and the names and contact details of two referees
- a detailed description of the proposed project and proposed output
- a detailed justified budget (note that the Fellowship may not be used to pay a salary). Applicants should demonstrate that the proposed project is not merely supplementary to an established program funded from other sources
- proof of Australian citizenship
- a covering letter addressing the selection criteria
Applications should be forwarded by Friday 2 November 2007 to:
Spitfire Fellowship Award, c/- The Research and Research Training Office, UNSW@ADFA, Northcott Drive, Canberra, ACT 2600.
If you wish to discuss the application process please contact the Research and Research Training Office, UNSW@ADFA, by telephone (02) 6268 9585, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or facsimile (02) 6268 8919 to make an appointment.
No award shall be made in any year in which, in the opinion of the Selection Committee, there is no applicant of sufficient merit.